Dell Openmanage Server Administrator is a really useful tool for configuring and monitoring server hardware but it lacks built in E-Mail alerts.
It is capable of executing scripts when a server alert is triggered so I have written a simple script in VBScript that provides the missing E-Mail alert functionality.
Updated version of this script
Many people land on this page, while the script and instructions on this page still work, there is an updated post with new information, please see this post:
How to configure email alerts from Dell Open Manage
- Download the script
- Extract the contents of the zip file to a folder on your machine
- Edit the top of the script to make the SMTP settings appropriate for your environment:
- Test the email functionality by running:
cscript dellalert.vbs testemail
- Setup the alerts by running:
cscript dellalert.vbs setup
- Once this is done you should be able to see that the script has been added into OMSA:
Now you need to generate some real alerts to test the script properly. How you do this will depend on the capabilities of your server, I was able to disconnect the redundant power supply and have an alert generated almost immediately. Opening the case will also generate an event on some servers. Hopefully you should get something like this in your Inbox:
Let me know how you get on and leave any questions in the comments area.