Correct putty settings for use with SCO Openserver 5.0.7

After so long since it was it was in mainstream use I am still doing regular work for customers with SCO Openserver, gradually they are all coming off the platform, but while it is still in use it’s nice to have the best possible experience.

A lot of the time if I am in a rush I will just use the Windows telnet client to connect to SCO Servers but really putty is so much nicer and you only need to change a few settings to get great compatibility with SCO.

Improve general putty settings first

If you haven’t already taken the time to improve upon the general defaults in putty, you might as well do that now, makes it a much nicer client to use in my opinion:

Specific settings for using Putty as a Telnet client with SCO

Keyboard settings

Change your keyboard settings to:

Backspace Key sends Control-H
The Function keys and keypad set to SCO

Correct keyboard settings for using putty with SCO

Window Settings

Change the remote character set to ISO-8859-2: 1999 (Latin-4, North Europe).

Terminal Type

Set your TERM environment variable to xterm and you should have a decent looking display and emulation when using SCO.

SCOadmin with correct terminal settings


Personally I sometimes like to have a 132 column width display which you can easily do by setting the terminal type to ansi-w in SCO and then changing the number of columns in putty to match.

Quick Dialler application for Gradwell VoIP Customers

Some time ago I produced an add-in to Outlook that enabled the calling of contacts directly from Outlook using Gradwell Call API. The app worked pretty well but I have recently redeveloped it into a standalone application and I think it works much better in this format. It still integrates with the Outlook contact database but the functionality is much easier to use in this format.

Introducing Quick Dial for Gradwell VoIP

So what does it do and how does it work?

Essentially the application allows you to initiate a call to your gradwell extension directly from your desktop without having to input the digits manually on your handset. Personally I find dialing the number manually quite a chore.

To support the quickest possible dialing it also:

  • Maintains a list of previously dialed numbers so you can quickly redial a previously dialed number.
  • Monitors your clipboard for a number so if you copy a number from another app it will be instantly available for you to call.
  • Queries the Outlook address book so that you can call any Outlook contact with a telephone number stored and automatically filters out e-mail only contacts.
  • When calling an Outlook contact will display the name and number of the contact being called on your handset.
  • Allows you to reverse the call order so that the call is only connected to you once the destination number has answered the call.

How to setup and use Quick Dial for Gradwell VoIP

Once you have downloaded and run the installer you will be prompted to enter your Gradwell authentication settings which you must do in order to use the application.

Dialog box prompting user to enter Gradwell Call API settings

The settings are quite self explanatory and if you need more information on how to setup your Call API Authentication token then please read this document from the Gradwell website:

Once the settings have been saved you would be forgiven for thinking the app had closed down, but it is still running and it is accessible via the notification area:

Picture showing notification area and availability of Gradwell Dialer

I suggest that you change your notification area settings so that the Icon is always available, and then it will appear like this:

Gradwell Dialer pinned to notification area

Now you can get started making calls. A single left click on the icon will bring up the main call window:

Initiating a Gradwell call using the quick dialler application

Once you place the call the status bar will show the status of the call and hopefully you will be quickly connected to the destination.

Calling Outlook Contacts

Right clicking on the application notification area icon will allow you to exit the app, change your settings on call an Outlook contact:

Notifcation area menu for Gradwell Dialler

Choose “Call Outlook Contact” and as long as you have Outlook running and some contacts you will come to a dialog with a drop down, auto-complete enabled list from which you can quickly dial any Outlook contact.

Calling an Outlook from the Gradwell Quick Dialer

Simply click on the hyper linked numbers available for your selected contact and the call will be placed. In addition, if your handset supports it, the contacts name will be displayed on the handset.

Let me know what you think of it, I’ve been find it very useful and saved me quite a bit of time/hassle.

Please note: I do not work for Gradwell and this application is entirely unsupported by them and I wrote it for my own use and I am just sharing.

 Download here